Is minimalism just about getting rid of stuff? And if you want to be a minimalist, are you allowed only 1 spoon, 1 bowl and 2 t-shirts? In this episode, we debunk some of these mainstream myths, explore what minimalism could be about instead, and offer some real-world examples of how it can change your life.
- 00:00 — Introduction to the episode
- 00:55 — The common (incomplete) perception of minimalism (‘it’s just about getting rid of stuff’)
- 01:30 — Rohan’s minimalism journey:
- Learning the concepts — ‘Decluttering’ (from The Zen Habits Blog) and ‘tidying up’ (from Marie Kondo’s book),
- One-backpack living — Getting rid of possessions (books, clothes, furniture, etc.)
- 05:57 — What minimalism is really about: Making place for what matters
- 09:15 — Is ‘minimalist’ just another word for ‘bachelor’? Susheel talks about the need to adapt when in a marriage.
- 10:37 — Making minimalism more than about ‘things’: How to make it a way of life. E.g., applying it to work and the projects you take on.
- 12:18 — Two life approaches: Saying ‘yes’ to everything Vs. saying ‘no’ to everything. Which works better?
- 13:06 — Minimalism as a form of self-expression.
- 14:25 — How Rohan has applied minimalism to his life. A key question: “Have I used this item in the last year?” If not, maybe you don’t need it?
- 16:30 — How minimalism helps you design a living space that encourages healthy habits. And James Clear’s ideas of habit formation (from his book ‘Atomic Habits’, referenced below)
- 18:40 — Minimalism Vs. Frugalism. How modern minimalism is often about expensive, high-quality stuff. So, maybe add in some frugalism?
- 21:50 — Minimalism and budgeting. Why we need to stay mindful of our expenses.
- 23:27 — A challenge for us all: What are the small changes we can make in our lives that will have the biggest impact? Step 1 could be to just declutter your desk or tidy up your room (use Marie Kondo’s technique, referenced below).
- 29:07 — How to find Susheel and Rohan online to carry on the minimalism conversation!
RESOURCES WE’VE REFERENCED
- Blog: Zen Habits (by Leo Babauta)
- Book: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up — Read a summary
- Book: Atomic Habits (by James Clear) — Read the summary
- Video: The ‘tiny house’ movement — We The Tiny House People (Documentary): Small Homes, Tiny Flats & Wee Shelters
CONNECT WITH SUSHEEL:
- Follow him at @susheel_c (Twitter) and susheel02 (Instagram)
- Consult with him at ColoursAlive.com
CONNECT WITH ROHAN:
- Consult with him at rohantharyan.com
- Follow him at rohantriesthinking (Instagram)