“Why has Sweden’s response to COVID-19 been so much less restrictive than the rest of the world’s? Has their strategy worked? And, should India act similarly?”
In this episode, Dr. Prathap Tharyan returns to answer these questions posed by a friend of the show. And he unpacks the issues involved in his trademark systematic, comprehensive, and nuanced style.
How to explore Dr. Prathap’s ideas
There’s a lot to get into. So here’s what we suggest.
First, check out the 30-minute interview
Listen to it above, or watch the video version on our YouTube channel: S1E7: COVID-19: Sweden’s Response [Good, Bad, or Ugly?]
- 00:00 – Introduction: What is the ‘Swedish conundrum’?
- 00:55 – Why did Sweden not lock down? What has their strategy been? [Refer to PDF 1 below for statistics and data]
- 14:20 – Why did they think this strategy would work? [Refer to PDF 2 below for statistics and data]
- 20:00 — Is their strategy working? [Refer to PDF 3 below for statistics and data]
- 27:55: Summary — the Swedish response isn’t about doing nothing. Instead, they’re making targetted decisions based on the unique characteristics of Swedish society. It’s worth keeping an eye on their success/failure, but we can’t generalize strategies from one country to another.
Then, download Dr. Prathap’s documentation
These are 3 PDFs outlining his argument in detail. You’ll find statistics, graphs, and images to back up each point he makes in the interview.
Finally, watch our earlier interview with Dr. Prathap
In [S1E5] COVID-19 (Pt 1): “Hey, Doc! Let’s Talk Facts.”, he explores how we already have the tools to solve COVID-19, because we stumbled upon them when tackling the other great pandemic — HIV/AIDS in the 80s.
Thank you for visiting Sliding Doors. Subscribe to the podcast on your favourite podcast platform.
Connect with Susheel Chandradhas
Connect with Rohan Tharyan